The Commandant General of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Prof. Ahmed Abubakar Audi, has stated that while attacks on schools across the country have declined, sustained collaboration with key stakeholders is still necessary to completely address the threat.
Audi made the statement on Thursday during a courtesy visit to the headquarters of the Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund), where he led a high-level delegation of senior NSCDC officers.
He explained that the visit was intended to deepen cooperation between the two institutions through a proposed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), which would establish a framework for inter-agency training, strengthen the capacity of NSCDC training institutions, and improve security within Nigeria’s education sector.

According to the NSCDC boss, the Corps is particularly keen on partnering with TETFund to upgrade its six training institutions, including the College of Security Management in Abeokuta, to promote career development and world-class training for its personnel.
He recalled that attacks on schools were once widespread, especially in the early 2000s and during the abduction of the Chibok schoolgirls, but noted that recent measures such as the Safe School Initiative have significantly reduced the trend.
“If you have been following the trajectory, you would see that attacks were very high around 2001 to 2003. Things escalated again during the Chibok girls’ incident, which led to the Safe School Initiative and safe school financing. Recently, the attacks have reduced, although we still observe some pockets, which are under control,” Audi said.
He stressed that school security cannot be handled by one agency alone, describing it as a “whole-of-society approach” involving security agencies, education authorities, school communities, and traditional institutions.
Highlighting key challenges, Audi disclosed that a recent survey identified over 81,000 schools nationwide, with more than 60,000 lacking basic security infrastructure such as fencing and guards.
“The entire NSCDC has about 63,000 personnel. Even if we deploy one officer per school, including the Commandant General, it will still not be enough. That is why collaboration with all stakeholders is essential,” he explained.
He added that the Corps was working closely with other security agencies to ensure early detection and containment of threats to schools.
In his response, the Executive Secretary of TETFund, Arc. Sonny Echono commended President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for appointing what he described as a visionary leadership at the helm of the NSCDC, acknowledging the Corps’ contributions to national stability.

“Security is a fundamental pillar for the success of any educational intervention. We recognize the silent and tireless work the NSCDC does to keep this nation safe,” Echono said.
He assured that TETFund was committed to supporting the Corps through the proposed MoU, including assistance with training infrastructure and provision of specialized security training for TETFund staff.
Addressing questions on funding and the Education Tax framework, Echono revealed that TETFund had recorded over a 100 percent increase in funding under the current administration, attributing the growth to President Tinubu’s support.
“Under this administration, TETFund has experienced more than 100 percent growth in funding. What we received last year was huge, and what we expect this year is also encouraging,” he said, while noting that increasing responsibilities, including the establishment of new institutions and expanded collaborations, had also raised operational demands.
Echono also thanked Nigerians for supporting reforms that strengthened the Education Tax Law, describing TETFund as a critical national institution that must be protected and sustained to deliver quality education nationwide.




