Atiku 2027 presidential bid

‘2027 Is My Last’: 79-Year-Old Atiku Rules Out Presidential Bid After Six Attempts

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has said the 2027 presidential election will be his final attempt to become Nigeria’s president, ruling out any possibility of seeking the office again in 2031.

Atiku, who is the presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), made the declaration during a Hausa-language interview on Wednesday.

Responding to a question about whether he would contest for the presidency again if he loses the 2027 election, the former vice president said he had already decided to end his presidential ambition after the poll.

“No, I have said it before, right from this election, I will not contest again,” said the 79-year-old politician.

The declaration means the 2027 election could mark the end of Atiku’s decades-long pursuit of the Nigerian presidency, following several unsuccessful attempts to secure the nation’s highest political office.

Atiku also called on Nigerians who possess Permanent Voter Cards (PVCs) to actively participate in the 2027 election, stressing that voting remains an important means of influencing the country’s future.

“First of all, I appeal to those who have voter cards, for their own sake, their families, and their future, to go out and vote. That is the solution to the problems they are facing,” Atiku said.

He further urged voters to remain at their polling units after casting their ballots and monitor the counting process to ensure their votes were properly recorded.

“After going out to vote, they should also stay, escort, and ensure that those votes are counted,” he said.

Atiku Speaks on Health

The ADC presidential candidate also addressed concerns surrounding his health and ability to handle the demands of the presidency.

Atiku dismissed suggestions that he was medically unfit, insisting that he remained physically capable of serving as president.

“No doctor has declared that I am unfit in terms of health. I know my body, I know I am healthy, and I do not have a single defect,” he said.

Atiku’s Presidential Journey

Atiku’s decision to make 2027 his final presidential bid follows a political journey spanning more than three decades.

In 1993, he contested the Social Democratic Party (SDP) presidential primary and finished third before stepping down in support of Moshood Abiola. He later sought to become Abiola’s running mate, but Baba Gana Kingibe was selected.

Atiku returned to the presidential race in 2007 under the Action Congress (ACN), but lost the election. Four years later, he contested the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential primary but lost the party’s ticket to then-President Goodluck Jonathan.

He subsequently joined the All Progressives Congress (APC) and contested its presidential primary ahead of the 2015 election, but lost the nomination to Muhammadu Buhari.

Atiku later returned to the PDP and became the party’s presidential candidate in 2019, when he was defeated by Buhari.

He contested the presidency again in 2023 as the PDP candidate but lost to Bola Ahmed Tinubu of the APC.

Ahead of the 2027 election, Atiku moved to the ADC and emerged as the party’s presidential candidate, setting up another contest against Tinubu, who is seeking a second term.

With his latest declaration, Atiku has indicated that he will not pursue another presidential bid beyond 2027, making the upcoming election potentially the final chapter in his long-standing quest to lead Nigeria.

Share your love
Chinenye Ubunama
Chinenye Ubunama

Chinenye Ubunama is a content writer and storyteller with a background in Biological Science. She specializes in crafting engaging, well-structured, and SEO-optimized content that simplifies complex ideas for everyday readers. With a focus on audience-centered writing, she consistently delivers value-driven content that informs, connects, and drives visibility across digital platforms.

Articles: 4540