The Department of State Services (DSS) in Sokoto State has issued an advisory warning about plans by terrorist and bandit networks to target higher educational institutions across the state.
According to the service, these planned operations could involve the abduction of students, instructors, support staff, and their families.
The security alert was formally transmitted to the Sokoto State administration on August 18, and its authenticity has been verified by a service source.
The advisory indicates that criminal organizations have altered their operational approach, shifting their primary targets away from primary and secondary schools to colleges and other tertiary institutions.
The DSS said the suspected plot could form part of a broader strategy to disrupt academic activities, create widespread fear, and undermine public confidence in the government’s ability to protect citizens and public institutions.
The agency therefore called for proactive security measures, urging authorities to strengthen surveillance, access control, intelligence gathering, and rapid-response capabilities around tertiary institutions across Sokoto State rather than wait for an attack to occur.
The agency cautioned that any successful attack on tertiary institutions could further damage Nigeria’s international reputation and aggravate the security challenges hindering educational activities in parts of the country.
Additionally, the security agency urged the Sokoto State government to treat the warning with urgency and take swift, coordinated action to bolster security around the state’s universities and higher institutions.
Backstory…
Nigeria has experienced repeated warnings and attacks involving schools in recent years. In June 2026, suspected bandits attacked the UBE Secondary/Primary School in Iluke, Kabba-Bunu Local Government Area of Kogi State, killing three people, including a vice-principal and a six-year-old child.
The warning also comes as school insecurity spreads beyond the traditional hotspots in the North-West. Recent reports found that at least 65 primary and secondary schools across several northern states had been shut or rendered non-functional because of terrorism, banditry, abductions and fears of further attacks.
Kaduna has also experienced similar security concerns. In November 2025, schools across parts of the state were abruptly shut following alleged threats issued by armed bandits.
Perhaps one of the most disturbing developments in Nigeria’s security crisis is that some communities have received warnings or demands from armed groups before attacks take place.
The February 2026 attack on Woro and Nuku communities in Kwara State is a particularly striking example. Reports said residents had received letters and messages from extremists before the eventual attack.
Read Also: DIG calls on Sokoto leaders, youths to join efforts against banditry



