Home Politics 2027: PDP Crisis About to Explode as Former President Jonathan Set for...

2027: PDP Crisis About to Explode as Former President Jonathan Set for PDP Screening as Sole Presidential Aspirant

3
0
Goodluck Jonathan
Goodluck Jonathan

The Turaki led faction of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), is scheduled to screen former president Goodluck Jonathan tomorrow, Tuesday, May 19, as the sole presidential candidate of party.

In a statement issued by the PDP faction backed by Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde, former Vice President Namadi Sambo, former Plateau State Governor Jonah Jang, and former Foreign Affairs Minister Tom Ikimi were named among the 14-member committee set to screen Jonathan, who the party described as the sole aspirant.

Other members of the committee include Chief Olabode George, Babangida Aliyu, Maryam Ciroma, Zainab Maina, Josephine Anenin, Dr. Abdul Bulama, Dr. Esther Uduehi, Tony Aziegbemi (Edo PDP chairman), Dr. Sunday Solarium, and Chief Anicho Okoro, who will serve as the committee’s administrative secretary.

Meanwhile, factional National Publicity Secretary Ini Ememobong said last week that former President Jonathan successfully registered as a party member under the new digital registration process supervised by INEC.

The PDP faction also announced that it was set to screen 748 house of representatives aspirants, 198 senatorial aspirants, and 112 governorship aspirants.

The screening committee will examine 2,122 candidates for state Houses of Assembly, and the exercise will begin in several states tomorrow, Tuesday.

The statement also noted that on Tuesday, May 19, 2026, at 10:00 a.m., the screening exercise would be conducted nationwide.

Additionally, the Interim National Working Committee (iNWC) has released the names of those appointed to the Screening Committees and Screening Appeal Panels.

BACKSTORY…

This move by the faction comes just after Governor Makinde declared his intention to run for presidency in the 2027 general elections.

On May 14, Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, formally declared his intention to run for the 2027 presidential election on the platform of the Allied Peoples Movement.

He said, “The time to reset Nigeria is now. Therefore, today, I, Oluseyi Abiodun Makinde, announce my candidacy for the position of the president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.”

Join Our Social Media Channels:

WhatsApp: NaijaEyes

Previous articleAbducted Oyo Teacher Reportedly Killed By Bandits
Next articleBREAKING: Court grants El-Rufai N100m bail
Favour Jeremiah
Favour Jeremiah is a seasoned writer and media professional with over six years of experience across digital media and broadcasting. Favour’s career is rooted in traditional journalism, having served as a prominent voice for 2 Radio stations. She combines this investigative rigor with a "humanised" and engaging writing style to break down complex social issues into timely, relatable and relevant insights.With a track record of producing SEO-optimized content that reaches thousands of readers, Favour consistently focuses on delivering value-driven narratives that reflect the real-world challenges and interests of the public.