The United States has suspended a planned military strike on Iran after Gulf leaders urged restraint and said negotiations were under way for a possible deal.
On Monday, Trump said in a Truth Social post that his campaign was “to be continued,” while also suggesting that military action could resume if diplomacy failed. He said the U.S. still wanted a deal, but that force remained an option.
According to Trump, he had planned the attacks for Tuesday, but Gulf leaders asked him to hold off. Adding that serious negotiations were underway and said they believed, as “great leaders and allies,” that the talks would produce a deal acceptable to the United States, the Middle East, and beyond.
He also said that Iran would not have nuclear weapons as part of the agreement.
However, Iran has continuously rejected aspirations to develop nuclear weapons, but it has also claimed that US demands violates Iranian rights and are only political pretexts.
Since Trump declared the ceasefire on April 7, Washington and Tehran have continued talks. Reuters also reported that Pakistan has helped push the negotiations forward behind the scenes, even though Gulf powers interested in the conflict have also played a quiet role.
Meanwhile, reports have recently claimed that Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates carried out several covert strikes against Iran in retaliation for earlier attacks during the wider Middle East conflict.
However, both Abu Dhabi and Riyadh had previously distanced themselves from direct involvement in the war before these allegations surfaced.
BACKSTORY…
Amid ongoing Middle East crisis, United States president, Donald Trump has issued a firm warning to Iran to quickly agree to a peace deal with the US or face devastation.
Trump said on his Truth Social platform on Sunday that “the clock is ticking” for Iran to reach a peace deal, as Washington works to break the deadlock over ending the war.